Energize Your Life! Gardening for a Healthier You
is a curriculum designed to support nutrition educators who teach adults with limited resources the importance of gardening as part of a healthy lifestyle. Through the five lessons, participants will understand the nutrition and physical activity benefits of gardening. Participants will increase their skill, motivation and self-efficacy to incorporate gardening into their daily routine to help achieve a healthy lifestyle.
By the end of the lesson participants will be able to:
- understand basic, key gardening concepts and their applications,
- recognize nutritional benefits of growing produce with high nutritional value,
- practice new skills to successfully develop and maintain a food garden,
- explore personal food preferences for fruits and vegetables as a way to enhance motivation and increase access and appeal of produce in personal environments,
- increase consumption of fruits and vegetables,
- increase regular physical activity, and
- promote and share their experience with food gardening as part of a healthy lifestyle.