This series provides youth a safe and fun environment to learn about nutrition and physical activity and how it relates to their lives.
Food Smarts for Youth topics include:
- SMART Goals and Vision Boards
- Healthy Food Choices
- Cooking Skills
- How to Shop on a Budget
- Physical Activity, Nutrition and Our Relationship to Food
These classes support the development of youth prepared to take control of their diet and health choices.
This series of online classes has been approved to teach youth, online, grades 4-12*. The series is to be taught using the “live” method of VE delivery. This means that SNAP-Ed educators deliver virtual lessons to students during class time. This is the closest method to traditional, face-to face education that requires the least preparation and technical skills. Live lessons allow for the most interaction with students through facilitated dialogue and other techniques.
*Food Smarts Adult series may be used for older youth. CTW strongly encourages Around the Table as a series of classes for older youth.
Resources developed for online use created by the WA SNAP-Ed Food Smarts Youth Virtual Education Workgroup. Members include:
- Amanda Liberty (Lead)-WSU Spokane County Extension
- Courtney Pinter-Multicare
- Melissa Davis-WSU Thurston County Extension
- Kyle Lee-WSU Pierce County Extension
- Sandra Valencia-Yakima Neighborhood Health Services
- Mattie Sobotka-CTW