The goal of Choose Health: Food, Fun, and Fitness (CHFFF) is to engage youth in activities that encourage healthy eating and active play. The Choose Health behavior goals are:
- Replace sweetened drinks with low-fat milk and water.
- Eat more vegetables and fruit
- Eat fewer high-fat and high-sugar foods and more nutrient rich and high-fiber foods.
- Eat only as often and as much as needed to satisfy hunger
- Play actively 60 minutes a day
- Limit screen time to two hours or less a day
The CHFFF curriculum uses experiential learning to teach healthy eating and active play, and was written using the “4A” dialogue approach for more effective retention and application of information and skills. Each lesson includes an Anchor that connects learners experience or interests, some new information to Add, a chance to Apply this new information interactively, and an Away, a goal setting challenge for the learner to use the new information in their daily lives. Each lesson also includes interactive nutrition activities, food preparation, active games, and a family newsletter.
Resources have been developed to help educators plan programming using CHFFF in their communities. An overviews is available and lesson assessment tools have been developed for all lessons.