Plan ahead to save
There are things you can do to save money when buying healthy food for your family. Here are a few:
- Buy only the amount of food your family can eat before it goes bad. Some fresh vegetables and fruits don’t last long. You can freeze fruits, vegetables and leftovers to use later.
- Buy items that will not spoil in bulk when they are on sale.
- Grow your own food! Start a garden for fresh additions to meals.
- Build your meals around healthy, low-cost, foods like:
- Protein – beans (garbanzo, black or others), tofu, chicken, eggs
- Vegetables – carrots, raw leafy greens, frozen vegetables
- Fruit – apples, bananas, oranges, canned fruit
- Grains – brown rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, pasta
- Dairy – calcium fortified soy-milk, low-fat milk and cheese
More ways to save
Here are more ways you can save money when buying food: